Court House Jail House Unitarian Church

Court House Jail House Unitarian Church

The 2nd Unitarian Church can be seen to the far right. This church burned in the fire of 1902

Gray Block

Gray Block

Grave Yard Houlton

Grave Yard Houlton

Gentle & Ludwig Insurance Savings Bank

Gentle & Ludwig Insurance Savings Bank

G W Richards Home

G W Richards Home

Fire before Brick Block was built

Fire before Brick Block was built

Fire drill with the Sockanossett pumper in Market Square, Houlton, ca. 1880.

Fire drill with the Sockanossett pumper in Market Square, Houlton, ca. 1880.

This is the famous “Sockanossett” 22 horsepower steam fire engine. Bought by public subscription for $2300 after the town was victim of its second sever fire loss in two years, in 1880. It arrived in November of that same year and is still here today.

Fire 1902 view

Fire 1902 view

F. N. Vose Planing Mill

F. N. Vose Planing Mill

The Vose mill was located in what is now Sugarloaf Street.

Court House pre clock

Court House pre clock

Built in 1958, this rare photo (ca. 1870) shows the Court House before the clock was installed.

Court Street Baptist 1865

Court Street Baptist 1865

Very early photo of the original Court Street Baptist Church

Cooks Brook Dam

Cooks Brook Dam

Gray Block

Gray Block

Liberty Hall

Liberty Hall

The town purchased the lot on the corner of Military and School street and built a long wooden two story building. The first floor was the school house. The second story was used for community purposes such as, community meetings, dances, speaking contests, and old fashioned spelling bees.

First Unitarian built 1837  North St

First Unitarian built 1837 North St

The first Church in Houlton was the Unitarian Church which was located on North Street.

Smith Bros.

Smith Bros.

This photo is from a Stereo View card dating from the 1870's

Court Street

Court Street

This photo is from a Stereo View card dating from the 1870's

Wording Hall Master

Wording Hall Master

Wording Hall built in 1888 and burned in 1944. Stood on what is now knowen as RIcker Plaza

Wooden Frenchs Corner

Wooden Frenchs Corner

This building only stood from 1886-1893

Steamer Mabel Nickerson Lake

Steamer Mabel Nickerson Lake

Snell House with game

Snell House with game

Sincock Block

Sincock Block

S Cary Aroostook Times

S Cary Aroostook Times

Ramsford Shaw Dec 29 1908

Ramsford Shaw Dec 29 1908

We owe a debt to Ramsford Shaw, he was the one who lobbied for a museum in Houlton.

Perks Bros

Perks Bros

Market Square before 1886

Market Square before 1886

A busy Market Square looking into  Bangor Street

A busy Market Square looking into Bangor Street

Main Street 1865 Osgood Collection

Main Street 1865 Osgood Collection

Millar with first telephone office

Millar with first telephone office

Highland Ave Bridge

Highland Ave Bridge

Houlton Academy Class of 1883

Houlton Academy Class of 1883

Great Fire of 1902

Great Fire of 1902

The building to the far right still stands today and is part of McPartland Plumping.

The Great Fire of 1902

The Great Fire of 1902

Early Buildings and Places around Houlton

​​​​© 2015 Aroostook County Historic & Art Museum

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon